Thursday, November 25, 2010

Missing a friend

Next month my very good friend Rey Monreal will be leaving Doha for good - again!  He left Qatar two years ago and went back to PI to look for better oppurtunities.  But luck was not on his side that time.  Well, not at all.  After a year of no work, his Qatari employer took him aboard again and thus his love affair with the State continued.

I came to Doha in September 2004.  Always a chicken, my first year here was short of good memories.  I was afraid to go out alone and explore the city.  If you know what I mean.  It was just work and home.  Church sometimes and City Center a lot.  Movies shown in theatres were old - those I've seen in PI one year before I left for Doha.  So my weekends before were barely enjoyed.

I met Rey at a cafeteria where he worked as a waiter.  I was an engagement auditor then of Qatar Steel.  His catering company served food to that company.  Six years ago, finding a Filipino serving you food is such a joy - much more become your new friend.  I really cherished those times where you are greeted first time by a kabayan at McDonalds souq or at KFC City Centre.  Takes away the terrible homesickness.  Anyways, Rey is a good worker.  He remembers my favorite juice and gives extra servings of my food.  Eating was my best friend those times so I loved such gestures!

He later introduced me to a schoolmate who has friends that eventually became my friends.  Thus, the start of my new days in Doha.  We hanged out a lot - weekends and weekdays.  But after some time, our group vanished.  Some went back to PI - some voluntarily and some forcibly.  Some had broken ties with somebody.  Some stayed but chose to live a quieter life.

When Rey came back to Qatar, he stayed in Al Khor, some 50 kilometers from where I live.  I used to drive to his place to visit him - and his male friends.  Hahaha! But after a while our work became too hectic.  Or is it mine only?  We don't see each other anymore.  I wish to see him before he leaves Doha - again!

I wish Rey a more exciting and blessed life in this next chapter of his journey.  Hope to see you in Manila in 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment